Ageing of the skin is a natural process during which the collagen and elastin, that keep our skin looking firm and youthful, begin to decline and so resulting in wrinkles. These factors are unfortunately out of our control and although diet and supplements can slow down the process, it won’t stop it.
The influences that are within our control are largely environmental, such as pollution (eg; smoking) and sun damage. Here are some easy ways to delay the start of wrinkles and slow down the ageing process.
- Stop smoking (it’s #1 for a reason).
- Always wear sunscreen, whether it’s cloudy or sunny, and don’t spend excessive time in the sun.
- Hydrate your skin by drinking about 8 glasses of water a day.
- Moisturise the skin on your face twice daily and use skincare products that contain antioxidants and AHA’s.
- Reduce alcohol consumption – overindulging can put enormous strain on your system and will accelerate the formation of wrinkles.
- Eat healthily by incorporating plenty of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Sleep for at least 8 hours every night.
- Reduce stress – try reading, exercising and meditating. 15 minutes a day is a good start to meditating and even 5 minutes will be worthwhile.
- Eat fish three times a week and also incorporate avocados into your diet- both are great for the skin and general health.
- Start a good skincare routine in your 20’s – prevention is easier than a cure.
- Use an eye cream for the delicate skin around the eyes every night.
- Facial scrubs remove the build-up of dead cells that can increase the appearance of wrinkles, try this weekly.
- Check with your doctor about taking supplements, your diet may be lacking some of the important ones. Take vitamin C supplements and use products that contain vitamin C, it will help boost your collagen.
- Honey is known worldwide for its beneficial abilities. Use a honey mask weekly to feed your skin with nutrients. Simply apply the honey to your face and neck and leave for 30 minutes then rinse off. If you want more of an indulgent treatment, then try the “Replenishing Mask with Rhug Honey” shown in our review section here.
Enjoyed this post? If you would like to be notified when a new blog or review goes live follow me