Lockdown is a great time to give your makeup bag/s a good clear out and throw away any old, broken and expiring products. Many items won’t give you an expiry date but here are some ideas for keeping a clean and hygenic makeup bag full of products you will want to use!
How do I know when my makeup has passed the expiry date?
It is a good idea to write down when you purchase an item; some products last longer than others but who really remembers when they bought something more than a few months ago? Check the expiration date on the packaging but if there isn’t one, here are a few simple rules to go by:
- Mascara: about three-four months after opening. If you use it a lot it may be that it doesn’t even last three months.
- All texture products in powder form such as shadow, matt powders and foundation will last about two years.
- Foundation in cream form, correctors, shadows or blushers in cream form last about a year and a half.
- Lipsticks and lipgloss last about two years. Check for colour or texture changes, it is possible that if you have exposed them to temperature changes, then they may have gone off.
- Face creams and cleansers have different shelf lives, depending on their ingredients.They can last from 3 to 12 or 24 months but you should see a date somewhere on the bottle or jar. so you can check.
- Sponges and powder puffs – replace these regularly.
Keep your makeup clean and hygienic
Clean all your products with a damp cloth or cottonwool to get rid of any sticky residue or dust and dry with a soft cloth. Don’t forget to clean all your brushes regularly and you’ll see how much easier it is to put makeup on. Here’s how:
- Clean with a mild shampoo or professional brush cleanser
- Rinse them in cold or lukewarm water (avoid using hot water)
- Rinse again under a running tap, until you are sure there is no remaining soap residue
- Squeeze out any excess water and leave to air dry in a row with space in between
TIP: Always leave your brushes to dry on a towel; never let them dry vertically in a cup, as the water would enter the brush’s handle and ruin it – the bristles can also clump together or become loose.
I like Bare Minerals Well-Cared For Brush Conditioning Shampoo (£10)
You can buy it here
Clean your makeup bag
Wash your makeup bag in a washing machine, if the material and shape allow it. Otherwise clean it with a damp sponge and eliminate all left-over pencil shavings, broken pencils, bits of makeup, etc.
Why not buy a new makeup bag with separate compartments to keep all your makeup products in order? Check that lids and tops are closed and secure, so both your makeup and the bag stay clean and usable.
Enjoyed this post? If you would like to be notified when a new blog or review goes live follow me